Share Your Experience!
We have assembled a worker advisory board known as Career Builders that consists of workers at various stages of their career, education, and professional development journeys.
This community helps inform, guide, and influence SkillUp services and outreach.
Our Career Builders program is a community of 25-30 individuals looking to change careers. As a part of this community, individuals offer feedback on SkillUp products, as well as share their stories and experiences with the SkillUp team and network.
This program lasts for three months and cohort participants meet every other week.
- Fall Cohort (Aug 2022 – October 2022)
- Winter Cohort (November 2022 – January 2023)
- Spring Cohort (Feb 2023 – April 2023)
Participation in the program has the following benefits:
- Bi-monthly private group coaching with peers
- Technology access and support: Panelists will be provided accounts for Slack.
- Compensation for participation: Participants are compensated $25 per hour of participation for their time giving feedback and sharing their stories.
- Platform for sharing their experience: Panelists’ stories and experiences will be used for social and national media and research reports that can reach thousands of readers.
- Impact on the SkillUp Product: Panelists will have the chance to explore and provide feedback on product modification and features, impacting the thousands of workers who come to SkillUp.org each week.
- Professional work experience and references: Participants in good standing with the program will be provided a letter of recommendation and can include their role as a SkillUp panelist on their resume.
- 18+ or older
- Living in any city in the United States
- Considering a career change or a training program
- Earning less than $40,000 a year
- Open to individuals with a high school degree, certificate, some college, AA/AS degree only. Not open to individuals with a bachelor’s degree.
Meet Our Community Manager
As a new non-profit, SkillUp wants to learn from your journey and inspire others with your success. We are looking for a diverse group of people from across the U.S. and invite you to learn more about our program from our Community Manager, Darryl.
Meet Our Career Builders
“The Career Builders Program helped me realize how out of alignment I currently am with how I want to professionally present. This is helpful to determine actions to take to get closer to professional goals.
I made changes recommended by you and then I received an email stating I am on a qualified candidate list for a job I strongly desire. I only had the confidence to apply for this position after these sessions.”
“The coaches with SkillUp are helping to align my skills that I already have obtained over the past 22 years. Before joining the program, it was hard to get an interview or even a call back.
Now, I’ve had two interviews and have applied to a career training program. It helps me to set aside dedicated time for my career path.” – Brad A.
“SkillUp Career Builders completely opened my eyes to new issues that were never addressed in previous career searches. I loved all of the sessions and helping us transition.
The network pitch and the resume was my 2 weaknesses and it really helped. I came in not knowing what to do next or where to turn for answers but now I have a clearer picture. I feel ready for training and updating my resume and great interviews.” – Tanisha W.
“Career Builders has allowed me to grow. Being a member of the cohort, I feel less intimidated by challenges in my journey and am more capable of identifying and speaking to my strengths, creating a more authentic personal statement, and writing a more effective resume.” – Shannel S.